The city today
In the South of this great country, where the waters of the rapid Urup flow into the Kuban River and the Stavropolsky plateau borders the banks, one can find Armavir – the city of parks, flowers and squares. With the winds come the freshness of the Caucasus Mountains, as well as the smell of steppe herbs and the breath of the Black Sea. Armavir is the gate to a plethora of resorts located on the Black Sea and in the North Caucasus. The name of the city comes from the capital of the ancient Armenian kingdom and means “Aram’s tribe”. Armavir is situated at 45 degrees latitude and therefore it is equidistant from the North Pole and the Equator.
Armavir is more than 170 years old and is becoming more beautiful and colorful as time passes. The city of Armavir is just under 280 square kilometers and has a population of about 210,000 people. The population density is 753.9 people per square kilometer. Armavir is one of the biggest economic centers of Kuban. Engineers and steelmakers, chemists and tailors, builders and railway men live and work here. Armavir is also the prominent cultural center of the North Caucasus and has more than 20 schools, colleges, institutes, and centres for art and music studies. The oldest theatre of drama and comedy as well as the lore museum are also located in Armavir.
The main Federal highway of the North Caucasus, FAR “Caucasus”, goes through Armavir. There are 2 railway stations in the city with connections to Tuapse, Baku, Rostov and Moscow, and there are also bus stations. The distance from Armavir to Krasnodar is 210 km. City transport has developed very successfully, and now the city center is connected with the suburbs by a system of trolleybuses.
Armavir is a city of atheletes and competitors of all sorts. There are numerous coaches, trainers and experts in several fields of sports. It's atheletes have competed in city, state and national championships with many holding national rankings. There are pools, stadiums, sport-clubs, ice-skating arenas, and race tracks for auto racing.
Tourism is also widespread in Armavir. A major youth initiative is underway. Tourists have shown a preference for the Caucasus Mountains and the Elbrus. This development has led to the development of such sports as paragliding, gliding and mountain climbing. The surroundings of Armavir are very rich in unique paleontological and geological sites, the study of which is connected with different phases of development of the ancient Sarmatian Sea.
Climate: temperately continental
Precipitation: annual precipitation 500-550 mm
Some historical facts
The history of Armavir goes back to the end of 18th century, during the Russian-Turkish war and the accession of the Caucasus. At that time, the Kuban River formed the national border. Military settlements were therefore constantly being created. In the summer of 1778, A.V. Suvorov and his company of Musketeers from Nizhny Novgorod’s infantry regiment visited the high right bank of the Kuban River. He liked the position so much that he ordered that a military fortifcation be built there. Later in the same area, the fortress 'Strong Trench' and near it the military camp 'Fortstadt' were built. Today, at the site of the former fortresses, one can see Kuban villages surrounded by an endless steppe of wheat, corn and sugar beets. While travelling to the mineral springs found in the Caucasian, such famous people as Griboedov, Pushkin, Lermontov, Ogariov and Belinsky stopped here.
The development of Russia played a large role in the formation of Armavir. The railway passed through Armavir, and the village became a prominent trade center for grain, cattle and other agricultural products. Small factories soon after started opening. Armavir was becoming a much large settlement. Armavir passed from one hand to another several times, and was the scene of fierce fighting between Kovtiuh, Balakhonov and others. However, on the 16th of March 1920, Soviet authority was established in Armavir.
Following the October Revolution, the city underwent a facelift with reconstruction work of all kinds taking place. Within a short period of time, the oil refining plants, forges and mills were repaired and restored to working condition. In the 1940s, the Grozny-Ukraine pipeline was constructed through Armavir.
World War II, known to Russians as the Great Patriotic War, was a time of trial and tribulation to the Soviet people. Thousands of the city's citizens were sent to the front. The Municipal Committee of the People's Party mobilized the city's workers to provide support to the front, and the title of 'Hero of the Soviet Union' was awarded to 22 of Armavir's townspeople. The city streets bore silent witness to some of the most terrible pages in Armavir's history. The Nazis completely destroyed the city with its factories, plants, electric stations and more than a thousand residential buildings being blown up and burned.
During the post-war period, Armavir experienced its rebirth. Thousands of working people from other republics and regions helped the Kuban people. Millions of tons of building materials, machines and tools arrived in Armavir from all parts of the country. By the end of 1946, the plan for the general reconstruction of the city had been both developed and approved.
© Ìåæäóíàðîäíûé ÿçûêîâîé öåíòð Language Link
tel: +7 (495) 730-63-99 (call centre Ìîñêâà)
fax: +7 (495) 730-6428