Skhodnya (Russian Ñõîäíÿ) was founded in 1874 and granted town status in 1961 and is located on the Skhodnya river 12km northwest of Moscow. In September 2004, the town merged into the city of Khimki. Khimki was officially founded in 1939. It was established around a railroad station with the same name which had existed since 1850 on the Moscow-St. Petersburg railway. Khimki was the site of the closest German advance to Moscow in November-December 1941. A memorial marking this in a form of a giant tank trap is located just short of an intersection with the railroad and close to the Mega shopping centre, one of the largest shopping malls in Russia with many retail stores including IKEA.